"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength"

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I GOT SCONED

There is this guy in my mid-singles group that I thought was pretty cute and I really wanted to get to know him but he was always FLOCKED by girls. One night he tells everyone about a 31+ dance and so I thought he is going to go and so am I!! I went to the dance he he was NO WHERE to be found and he NEVER showed up to the dance at all. Thankfully I knew another person there and we two-stepped and had fun together.

I went home from the dance and I got on Facebook (I know who doesn't right!?!) and low and behold there he was online. So our conversation went kind of like this:

Me: YOU STOOD ME UP!!!


Him: You went to the dance? How was it? I wasn't sure I was going to go but since I made the event it automatically put me as going. I am sorry!


Me: It was OK but some guy old enough to be my grandpa smacked my butt and Philip witnessed it!!


Him: Hey you know if it is a good dance if you come away with a butt smacking!! Just kidding, did you get the phone number of a HOT High Priest?


Me: Ha ha you are too funny!! I have two questions for you...#1... (I then proceeded to ask him a question about the Elders Quorum and the High Priest Group of our church that I have always wondered and he answered it for me). #2 Do you want to go on a date with me?


*Yes I really asked him on a date, I couldn't believe I did it and I thought I was going to throw up afterwards waiting for him to respond!!!!*


Him: Wow that is a little unorthodox...what do you have in mind?


Me: Well I can be a little unorthodox at times :) The possibilities are endless...go to dinner, go to a movie, go bowling. TP someones house...

Him: You are asking me on a date and making me plan it SHEESH!! What if we meet for dessert?

Me: I have no problems planning I am new here and I don't know the best places to go.

Him: Let's go to Merritt's Country Cafe, they have the best scones ever.

Me: OK how about Tuesday at 7:00pm?

Him: Sounds perfect

Me: OK see you then, see I can plan!!

I am still shocked that I asked him but I was way excited and couldn't wait for Tuesday to come!! Since I had no idea where it was I had to GPS it and it was father than I thought so I got there a little late and he was already there. This place was awesome, it was totally a ma and pa type of place and they totally know their "regulars" there. It is not a fancy place it is so down to earth and just very comfortable. I find him in a booth and he is still in his work clothes. He apologized for it (which was pretty sweet) and said he had an appt after work that ran a little long. I said that is no problem! Then I noticed the company logo and I totally knew from reading it what he did for a living...the company is Pilkington. I said so where do you work? He turns a little and shows me the side of his arm and says Pilkington. I said oh so you deliver windshields!! He looked at me for like 5 seconds and said yeah...how did you know? Nobody knows Pilkington!! I said well a lot of my married life Clint installed windshields and the majority of them came from Pilkington.
After that the conversation just totally flowed and it really never ceased. Even after we got our scones (which were totally yummy, not the kind of scones I have had before, they were more like elephant ears from the carnival) we would talk while we were eating. We had so much in common and our marriages really paralleled each other except for the fact that he is divorced and I am a widow.  We talked and laughed and had so much fun and then we decided we should head home. I paid because I asked him and at the register he told the lady it was my first time there and she said well this is a nice date...you went out with a guy and lost your virginity...your scone virginity that is!!! We both looked at each other and busted up laughing...#1we had both been married so yeah...not virgins #2 we each have 4 kids.#3 we are LDS and dating with LDS standards so him taking my "scone virginity" is hilarious. I said I think we need to talk to our Bishop's and we laughed again!!

We head out to our cars and he notices my cracked windshield and I said no worries I am totally getting it fixed tomorrow. It turned out that he delivered my glass to the guy who was fixing my windshield. Then we stand out in the freezing cold and talk even more. It turns out that his mom and I ran our church choirs the same way and we have a lot in common. And him and I share a love of musicals and were comparing all of our favorites. We finally decided we were going to get frost bite if we didn't go, he gives me a hug and we head our separate ways.

I get in my car and look at the time and we had been talking for 2 1/2 hrs!!! It was crazy to me that we talked NON-STOP for that long and we could've kept going but we were COLD!!! It was a fun date and it showed me that you can go on a date with someone just to get to know them and there doesn't have to be anything romantic about it. You can just go and have a good time and it is OK!!!

I did see him again a few days later at a group date that my friend and I planned, I will definitely tell you about that...but as of last week this guy and my friend got engaged as of yesterday they aren't anymore!! I have no idea but I do know that my friend and this guy are absolutely ADORABLE together and I really hope they get  back together because she deserves an AMAZING guy like him. Keep your fingers crossed for them!!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you suggested toilet-papering houses! Why didn't you just offer to light bags of poop on fire while you were at it? That is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like a fun thing to do!!! haha many a good times in St. David were spent toilet papering with my cousins :)

    ReplyDelete