"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength"

Friday, March 5, 2010

STEAK

I never realized how much I really don't know about different types of food until one day I wanted steak. Val and I were at the store doing some grocery shopping and we decided that we wanted steak for dinner. So we walk over to the meat section and start looking through all the varieties of steak. Before I would've suggested steak and Clint and I would've gone to the store and he would've walked over to the steaks and picked out the right ones and we would've been on our way home. This shopping trip was a little different!!

I though this was going to be a breeze I have cooked steaks before so I knew what to look for. I didn't realize how many varieties there are. I saw T-bone, sirloin, chuck, eye of round and some other one that I couldn't pronounce!! With the T-bone it was HUGE, expensive and covered in tons of FAT. Sirloin looked pretty good but there was super thin ones and a nice size cut. Chuck to me looked more like a hamburger or something I don't really know. Eye of round...what the heck...it sounds like something that belongs in a witches brew. The one I couldn't pronounce, well, it didn't look like steak and I have no idea what I would do with it. There were others but I can't seem to remember...I was a little overwhelmed at the time :)

So Val and I are looking at our options and telling each other the pros and cons of each one and we were getting NOWHERE!! Then I looked at her and said "Valerie we need a man" she said "I don't think we can get one that fast April". We decided that we would watch the next man that came over to the meat section and whatever steak he chose we would choose. Well we waited for at least 20 minutes before one finally came over. We stepped back a little so we could see what he was going to choose and you will not believe what he chose...THE NAME I COULDN'T PRONOUNCE!!!! Yes he did, I looked at Val and said "best out of 2?" We waited another 10min and not another man came our way so I did what I usually do in a situation that I can't figure out...I called Joy. While I was waiting for Joy to answer I decided to look around to see where the heck all the men where and I found most of them in produce and canned goods, who would've thought!?!

Finally Joy answered her phone and I said "Joy we want steaks for dinner but we can't figure out which ones to get, what ones should we get?" Her response was "I don't know let me get Clint!!" So eventually Clint tells me which ones to get...we ended up getting a not too thick and not too thin cut of sirloin and it was MARVELOUS!! I learned that there are somethings that I might be able to do alone but there are some things that come to men instinctively one of them being: STEAKS!

3 comments:

  1. UGH! I don't know how to pick a steak either!! I think we always got sirloins ... maybe?? Did you know how to grill it? I wouldn't know how to do that either! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know how to grill them but thankfully Clint did it shortly after we got home!!

    ReplyDelete