"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength"

Saturday, February 20, 2010

I got my GROOVE on

Somewhere in this RFC thing I met an awesome girl name Jill. She told me about a New Year's Eve dance that was coming up. She said it was for a mid-singles group, I asked her what the ages were before I decided if I was going to go or not. Now don't get me wrong I love to dance but I am at that single age where I don't want to go dance with a bunch of 19yr olds or 50yr olds (no offense). I am at this awkward stage and I wasn't sure where I fit in yet. She checked the ages for the group and to my surprise it was 27-45!! It was too perfect so I talked with RFC and he strongly encouraged me to go. He was actually pressing it pretty hard and I asked him why he wanted me to go so badly. His response was April you are so young, get out and live life. So I decided to go.

The last dance I had been to was my Senior Prom in High School...that was a magical night...I was out with the man I loved and then later on in the night I was crowned Prom Queen. This one I wasn't so sure how it was going to go, I no longer had the man I loved, I most certainly wasn't going to be queen of anything and the only person I knew (sort of) was a girl named Jill and I had no idea who she was!!!! So that day Joy and I went to the mall to find me a good outfit. I have a hard time in the looking good category because I am over weight but I thought we should try and find something anyways. We found this store in the mall that caters to people of my size and a wonderful thing happened I spent $200 there. Why is that wonderful? Because I found clothes that I felt comfortable and stylish in. I had my clothes and my GPS was ready to roll and I was on my way.

I got half way to the dance and I realized that I forgot my wallet at home and I needed $3 to get in. So I had to turn around and go get it and I looked at the time and realized that someone needed to get Val from work and it was probably going to be me. I got my wallet and rushed off to get Val and she expressed desire to go to a New Year's Eve dance in Boise. Since her car died shortly after getting to Idaho we were trying to figure out who would go to who's dance. I put my foot down about dancing with 19yr olds and she didn't want to dance with "old people". The agreement we came to was: she would drop me off at my dance and take my car to Boise for her dance and then pick me up when she was done. Finally all of this was settled and I get to my dance at 10pm and she drives away. My thought as she was leaving was: oh crap if this dance sucks I am stranded here until midnight at least. Oh well at least I couldn't run away right!?!

I took a huge breath and walked into the dance. I heard some pretty good music playing and was getting pretty excited. I looked around and almost laughed it seriously reminded me of a High School dance. People were standing along the walls, sitting at tables and a small group of people were dancing in the middle of the room. There were balloons and streamers everywhere, they did an awesome job on the decorations. I walked in and just stood there for a while and finally this girl comes up and starts talking to me and introduces me to some other girls. I put my stuff down and our group was coaxed out on the dance floor. So that was what it took to get me out there dancing. I am not the best dancer but I LOVE MUSIC so I just did my thing and had fun. Finally this girl from across the room looks and me and smiles and she said April? I said Jill? We both just laughed, hugged and she introduced me to some more amazing people. We danced all night long and around midnight they start passing out Hershey kisses so everyone could get a New Year's kiss. At the stroke of midnight this one fun guy starts kissing every girl he sees on the cheek and yes even me.

After the dance ended at 1 am I hopped in Jill's car and we go to someones house for New Year's Day breakfast. We had the best food and just sat and talked and got to know each other. I was invited to go watch a movie with them later in the day, which I totally did. I am really a shy person and I don't go out of the way to talk to cute guys about myself but I tried to make some conversation. Finally Valerie called me and I gave her the address of where I was and she came and took me home and we had a blast telling each other about our night. This mid-singles group that I have found has really been a blessing for me. It has gotten me in touch with other single parents and I go out and do activities and dances with them. I am still pretty shy so a lot of the guys out there don't really know me and I hope they don't think I am stuck up or anything but this is how I have been pretty much my whole life. My goal is to start talking to some and maybe just maybe go on a date or something. This adventure has reminded me how much I love to get my groove on!!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good time! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather, it was so hard to go in there but SOO worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Especially that you got dropped off and had no car - when you told us that Friday night I was cracking up ... that totally could have been a disaster but, thank heavens it wasn't!!

    ReplyDelete