"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength"

Thursday, February 11, 2010

U-haul, you have got to be kidding

I just have to say that I love trucks, I love pretty much any kind of truck but I really really love diesel trucks. Specifically an F250 that has been lifted, with tool boxes, a ladder rack and a nice yellow stripe painted on the bottom half of the truck. If any of you know this truck you will agree that it is an amazing truck, those of you who don't know this truck it was Clint's truck. I almost bought this truck but then I realized how much it would cost me for the fuel and upkeep on it so I bought my Yukon instead. Now I am so glad I bought this Yukon it was the only reason I didn't completely freak when I realized I was going to have to pull a u-haul from Safford to Caldwell. My Yukon my be a SUV but it has the heart of a truck!!

So my moving company completely sucked and I had to go get a u-haul. Thankfully I had the best home teacher in the world and he took me to get a hitch and a ball thingy for my yukon and hooked up the u-haul for me. Now I told myself you can do this as long as you only stop in places that you don't have to back up to get out of. So in other words....I was only driving forwards at all times. Well my plan was working well until I got to Phoenix, yes only 3 hours into my journey. I was on my way to say goodbye to my awesome friends when I took a wrong turn...no biggie I thought I will just go out and go around the block and get back to where I need to be. Ha ha that was until I saw the dead end sign. Yep as my luck has it I turned on a dead end road and needed to turn around. Once again I thought no biggie I will just make a wide turn and be on my way. Ha ha that was until I saw the big school bus parked on half of the road. (It was 10pm why wasn't that dumb bus in a bus barn or something!?!) So I attempted to turn around but to fix it I had to back up the trailer. (I had never pulled a trailer or even attempted to back one up but I watched clint do it a million times all the while telling me how to do it, he made it look so easy) Now in theory I knew what to do but actually getting it to work was another thing. Needless to say after quite a few failed attempts I called Sam and Aaron to come and save me. Aaron comes looks at my situation, laughs at me (I felt the love Aaron) and takes maybe 2 minutes to fix it. What gives!?! Do you have to have testosterone to back up a trailer without jack-knifing or running into anything? So thanks to Aaron I was set right and on my way and yes I went forward the rest of my trip to Idaho.

So in answer to my question I will quickly tell another adventure. Once I got here to Idaho Joy and Clint were moving to a bigger house. So they had a trailer they were borrowing to help them move. Well I had my hitch on so it only made sense that we hook it up to my Yukon. So what does that mean? I got lots of practice pulling a trailer. I got pretty confident with my trailer pulling skills that I didn't even notice it was back there. After bringing home the last load Joy, Valerie and I were going to unload the trailer but that meant it needed to be parked on the driveway and that also meant that it needed to be backed up onto the driveway. It was either back it up or wait for Clint to get home and do it. We talked about it and decided we would try and do it ourselves. Now if any of you know all three of us you can imagine how funny this scene was as it was being played out. I was in the drivers seat, Valerie was out my window and Joy was off the passenger side in the back where I could see her. I think it took me about 5 attempts with Valerie doing some pretty funny arm movements and Joy yelling directions at me even though I can barely hear her. But WE DID IT!!! Yes we did back that trailer onto the driveway and I didn't jack-knife or hit anybody or anything. It was seriously crooked on the driveway but it was there. Of course after we did it we celebrated by screaming, high-fiving and taking pics to document this day in history.

So no you don't have to have testosterone to back up a trailer...you just need practice, courage and some good arm movements and directions being yelled at you!!!!

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome!! I still haven't been able to do that on my own!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I will ever be able to do it again! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, that story made me miss you guys so much! I can totally see Valerie doing weird arm movements and stuff. LOL!! You're right, Clinton made pulling a trailer SO easy!!

    ReplyDelete