"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength"

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

THEY

Growing up I have heard a lot about THEY. For example: April you know THEY say to do your homework as soon as you get home it will be easier for you. THEY say an apple a day keeps the doctor away. So what I want to know is who the heck is THEY!?!?!?

Since I have become a widow THEY has had a lot to say about what I should do, how I should act, how long I should grieve...etc. I brought up the idea of dating to a person and that person responded with: "You know April THEY say that you should wait at least a year before dating after a loss, it is the proper way to show respect for your spouse." Or when I told someone I was moving I got: "April THEY say not to make too many drastic changes after you lose your spouse it might show you aren't thinking clearly."

Well I have decided that it is time to give THEY a piece of my mind!! OK really who the heck is THEY? I imagine THEY are a lot of old bitter, know-it-all people who sit around all day trying to come up with ways to fix other people's lives without trying to fix theirs. THEY have kept in business because tons of people actually heed their advice. What annoys me the most is how do THEY think THEY know what is good or not good for me and my life? Have THEY gazed into a crystal ball and now know the course of my life and everybody else on the planet? Has THEY been voted the #1 best advice giver of all time? Was THEY there night on the nights preceding Clinton's death to know what we talked about and decided for my life? Umm...no I don't think so!

I know, I know there are some instances where THEY are good to listen to and actually have some good advice. But more often than not THEY are just a major source of frustration. So for a new adventure in my life I have decided to tell THEY to kiss off and take a hike!! THEY... you need to realized that you don't have all the answers and sometimes people just need to decide the course of their life all on their own. So remember people if someone comes to you with a problem or is just venting about something and you feel tempted to throw your your best "THEY say" line take a breath and come up with something original or ask the person what they think should happen or maybe you shouldn't say anything and just give the person a hug. Sometimes the best advice is something that isn't even said but shown.

4 comments: